Weymouth-Dorset.co.uk Local History

Weymouth History Timeline

Dates in Weymouth's History: 1900-2006

Including Timeline of Reclamation of Land

1900

Primitive Methodist Chapel, Gallwey Road, Wyke Regis built; opening of the new Royal Hotel on the seafront; Sidney Hall given to the parish of Holy Trinity by Sir John Groves in memory of his son, Sidney, who had died in 1895; Portland railway line extended as far as Easton

1902

1903

1904

Weymouth Hospital at Westerhall opened

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Portland Road, Wyke Regis built

St John's Gardens opened; thatched shelters in Alexandra Gardens built; electricity supply began from Sunnybank Power Station in Westham

1905

1907

1908

1909

Bus service from Wyke to Weymouth and Radipole established; Radipole Halt railway station opened

Royal Navy Sailors' Home built in St Nicholas Street

Pavilion Theatre opened; Wyke Regis Halt on the Weymouth to Portland Railway opened

wooden railway bridge over the backwater replaced with iron-built one and Melcombe Regis station built; moving pictures began being shown at the Jubilee Hall which changed its name to Royal Victoria Jubilee Hall and Picture Palace

1910

1912

1913

1914

Belle Vue cinema opened; South Coast Laundry at Radipole gutted by fire

The Palladium Cinema opened adjoining the Town Bridge

The Kursaal erected around the bandstand at Alexandra Gardens

Clark and Endicott (Abigail) memorial unveiled in front of the Pavilion; Sidney Hall converted for use as a military hospital during WWI

1917

1921

1924

1927

Templeman's Mill on Melcombe Quay destroyed by fire

new Westham Bridge opened

Kursaal at Alexandra Gardens demolished and replaced with the Alexandra Gardens Theatre

Radipole becomes a parish church again; serious fire at Gloucester Hotel, an additional storey added during rebuilding; demolition of the Royal Baths in St Thomas Street/St Mary Street

1928

1930

1932

1933

Town Bridge closed and demolished

new Town Bridge opened

Westwey Road opened; electricity began to be supplied from the National Grid

Odeon Cinema, Gloucester Street opened (demolished 2006); extension of the Borough boundaries to include Wyke Regis, Radipole, Preston, Broadwey, Upwey

1939

Market House demolished; closure of Christchurch in King Street; Fire Service moved from St Edmund Street to new building at North Quay; Pier Bandstand (near Brunswick Terrace) opened

1940

No.12 Russell Avenue became the first house demolished by bombing; Devenish Brewery badly damaged by bombing; major air raid on Weymouth with 463 houses in Hope Square, Chapelhay, Rodwell, Newstead Road damaged; Southern National (bus) Garage destroyed by bombing; Chapelhay badly hit again

1941

Chapelhay suffered further damage by bombing; Royal Adelaide Hotel, Abbotsbury Road destroyed by bombing

1942

Dorset Daily Echo offices and other properties in St Nicholas Street and the Methodist Chapel in Newstead Road badly damaged by bombing in the same raid

1944

Melcombe Avenue area including Weymouth Hospital badly damaged in air raids; Weymouth was the major embarkation port for the invasion of Normandy; Weymouth's first public library opened at Electric House

1947

1948

1949

1952

1954

1955

1956

1960

1961

the establishment of an industrial estate at Lynch Lane

Weymouth lending library opened in Westwey Road

King's statue painted in heraldic colours

Portland railway line closed to passengers

Ritz Theatre (Pavilion) burnt down

extensive flooding in the villages along the River Wey after 11 inches of rainfall

Nothe Fort ceased being in active service; Belle Vue Theatre closed and was converted to the Elim Church

new Pavilion opened; John Groves and Devenish Breweries merged

council took over the Nothe Fort; houses and other buildings along North Quay demolished; new road built across Chafeys Lake for access to Southill and Radipole

1962

1965

1966

1967

1968

1971

1972

Pilgrim House (Hope Square) opened as the first community centre in the area; Wyke Regis library opened

railway line to Portland closed

demolition of Melcombe Regis railway station

opening of new Ferry Terminal on the pier

Theatre Royal, formerly the Congregational Church in St. Nicholas Street demolished

opening of Municipal Offices at North Quay by Princess Anne

Weymouth Museum opened in the premises of the former Melcombe Regis School at Westham Bridge; Radipole School closed

1973

1974

a separate footbridge alongside Westham Bridge built

demolition of Wyke Lodge previously known as Boulton Villa; demolition of Wyke House Hotel; demolition of Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Coneygar Lane; St John's School, Dorchester Road closed; construction of Weymouth Swimming Pool; amalgamation of the Borough of Weymouth and Melcombe Regis with Portland after which it became known as the Borough of Weymouth and Portland

1976

1980

The Shambles Lightship off Portland was taken out of service

major extension the car ferry terminal completed; Gloucester Street Congregational Church demolished having closed in 1971

1982

1983

1984

1985

1986

1987

St Mary's School in School Street closed

Radipole Halt closed; Weymouth hosted the start of the Tall Ships Race for the first time

the Colwell Centre opened, built on the site of the former Weymouth Royal Hospital

Devenish Brewery in Hope Square closed; opening of a new Ferrybridge to Portland

part of the pier blown up as it had become unsafe; new railway station opened

Portwey Hospital closed; Weymouth Way (A354) opened; Westham Bridge closed to traffic when a new bridge following the line of the old railway bridge was constructed; the two main streets of the town (St Mary Street and St Thomas Street) were pedestrianised; Condor service to the Channel Islands began; Weymouth hosted the start of the Tall Ships Race for the second time

1989

demolition of the Jubilee Hall; Weymouth Museum housed in the former Melcombe Regis School at Westham Bridge was closed and later demolished

1990

Town Pump moved to Old Harbour; Brewers Quay opened in the former Devenish Brewery in Hope Square; the new Weymouth Library opened

1991

1992

1993

1994

Safeway opened at the former Mount Pleasant Farm, Radipole

Convent of the Sacred Heart school closed

Alexandra Gardens destroyed by fire

Weymouth hosted the start of the Tall Ships Race for the third time, the only port ever to have done so; 50th anniversary of the D-Day Landings

2000

2001

2002

2004

2005

2006

New Bond Street shopping area opened

Weymouth College in Newstead Road demolished to make way for housing

Maiden Street Methodist Church destroyed by fire

demolition of the Streamside Hotel, Preston Road

demolition of the Odeon Cinema in Gloucester Street; Safeways at Mount Pleasant became Morrisons

demolition of the Alexander Footbridge and replacement with a new one

 Dates of Weymouth History: 1200-1799 1800-1899

 

Reclamation of land:

Sea:

1721 new built extension of Melcombe Quay just past the George Inn

1723 Melcombe Quay extended further

1781 inlet known as McSaunders Hole (Weymouth side) filled in

1840 pile-pier infilled with a mixture of waste Portland stone and shingle 'concrete' built on the north side of the harbour; extensive dredging of the harbour for greater water depth

1859-60 pile-pier rebuilt and extended

1877 cargo stage added to pile-pier

1888-9 passenger stage and baggage hall built on pier for the Great Western Railway

1908 Pavilion Theatre, later known as the Ritz built on reclaimed land adjoining the pier

1932 Westwey Road opened after reclamation infilled with waste Portland stone behind a retaining wall

1933 major extension to the pier opened

1938 land reclaimed at Ferry's Corner to ease the bend of the tramway

1967 opening of new Ferry Terminal on the pier

1970s reclamation of a large piece of land of the pier began

1980s reclamation of the above land of the pier finished (this is where they intend building an 8 storey hotel!)

 

Backwater:

1804 east side of the backwater plan to reclaim land (infilled by the removal of a sand bar across the harbour) for a new road (Commercial Road) to be built from the Quay to Coneygar Lane (became Lower Bond Street and is now New Bond Street); to be extended as far as Gloucester Street in 1831

1834 (4th June) laying of the foundation stone of a retaining wall along the backwater as far as Black Rock (western end of modern-day Cassiobury Road) to be built and to reclaim land at the end of Coneygar Lane on the backwater side of Commercial Road.

1904/5 land reclaimed at the end of Westham Road leading onto Westham Bridge

1920s land reclaimed from the backwater for Melcombe Regis Gardens as far as the Railway Station.

1926 land reclaimed for Radipole Park Drive and Radipole Gardens

 

  

Back to Weymouth Home Page

Guestbook

Weymouth and Dorset Local and Family History Forums

Interactive Map of Weymouth & Dorset

 

Relevant Links:

[Harbour, main][Harbour, Melcombe Regis][Harbour,Old][Nothe, Nothe Fort][Portland][Portland Harbour & Breakwater (Nothe page) ] [Radipole][Tall Ships][Town Buildings][Weymouth Harbour - Trinity area][Weymouth Harbour - Hope area][Weymouth, Old][Wyke Regis]