Weymouth-Dorset.co.uk Local History

Weymouth History Timeline

Dates in Weymouth's History: 1800-1899

1800

1803

1804

1805

embanking and walling of the esplanade began

first Congregational Church built in St. Nicholas Street

King George III purchased Royal Lodge from his brother

East Indiaman, the 'Earl of Abergavenny' sunk in Weymouth Bay; final visit of George III to Weymouth; week of mourning in the town follows the death of the Duke of Gloucester, brother of the King and builder of Royal (Gloucester) Lodge; Battle of Trafalgar, Portesham man Admiral Hardy Nelson's Flag Captain; building of Royal Crescent completed; opening of Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Coneygar Lane

1808

1809

1810

1811

1812

1814

1815

1816

1817

1818

1820

Chalk figure carved in hillside above Osmington

laying of the foundation stone for the erection of the King's (George III) statue

King's statue unveiled

7 houses in Johnstone Row built

Pulteney and Devonshire buildings built on land reclaimed from the sea

Baptist Chapel, Bank Buildings, Melcombe Regis opened

The 'Alexander' wrecked at Wyke Regis; St Mary's Church, Melcombe Regis demolished

Royal Terrace built

the new St Mary's Church in St. Mary Street opened

building of Belvidere began

Death of King George III, and auction of the contents of Gloucester Lodge. The Lodge purchased by William Young

1821

1822

demolition of a number of houses on the Weymouth side of the harbour

Hope Independent Chapel built; shooting of William Lewis, smuggler from the 'Pigmy' schooner (gravestone in Wyke Regis churchyard)

1824

1826

1827

1829

1835

1836

Great Gale caused extensive damage; Sinking of Carvalho, Colville and the Leonora; new Town Bridge built

building of the new church at Fleet began

building of Brunswick Terrace completed

new church at Fleet opened by the Bishop of Salisbury

Waterloo Place built; St Augustine's Roman Catholic church built on Dorchester Road

Weymouth Workhouse opened; Holy Trinity church, Weymouth, opened/ Weymouth Gas Works erected by W W Burdon

1838

1839

1841

1845

1846

1849

1851

1853

1854

Guildhall, Melcombe Regis, opened

Ferrybridge to Portland built

Primitive Methodist Chapel built in Hope Square

Channel Islands Steam Packet service moved to Southampton

Weymouth Police Force established

building began on Portland Breakwater with Prince Albert laying the foundation stone

the Town Clock was now to keep Greenwich Mean Time as opposed to Local Time

Holy Trinity School, Chapelhay built (destroyed by bombs in WWII)

water pump built at the top of Boot Hill (Rodwell Road); St. John's church opened (aka the New Radipole Church within which parish it lay); Holy Trinity School at Chapelhay opened on the site of the former St. Nicholas Chapel and Fort

1855

Fish Market on Custom House Quay, Melcombe Regis, built; Market House, St Mary Street, built; Victoria Terrace including the former Hotel Burden (now Prince Regent) built

1856

1857

establishment of a new Melcombe Regis Cemetery at Goldcroft

Railway line to Weymouth opened; the London and South Western Railway Company's steamer 'Express' began sailing to the Channel Islands as did also the Weymouth and Channel Islands Steam Packet Company; approval given for building of the Nothe Fort

1859

the first Westham Bridge traversing the Backwater opened; LSWR steamer 'Express' wrecked off Jersey thus ending their Channel Islands service

1860

1862

1863

1864

1865

foundations of the Nothe Fort laid

new Hope Independent Chapel built; southern extension to Gloucester Hotel built to house the 'Country Club'

Weymouth Sanatorium opened at Clarence Buildings

Gloucester Street Congregational Church opened; St John's School, Dorchester Road opened

new railway line to Portland opened; Weymouth Harbour Tramway opened with the railway line extended from the station to the quay; Weymouth College established

1866

1867

opening of the Sailors' Bethel on Melcombe Quay; opening of Maiden Street Methodist Church

George Robert Stephenson purchased land known as 'The Rings' to be laid out as gardens which became known as Alexandra Gardens; closure of Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Coneygar Lane when replaced by one in Maiden Street; opening of Methodist church in Maiden Street

1869

1872

United Free Methodist Chapel, Caroline Place opened

change of street names: St Nicholas Street, Weymouth (shown on old maps as Francis Street) became Chapelhay Street, Longhill Road became Rodwell Road, on the Melcombe side: Petticoat Lane became Lower St Alban Street, Coneygar Lane became Lower Bond Street; Royal Adelaide and Jane Catherine wrecked; final stone laid at Portland Breakwater by the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII); Nothe Fort opened for service; dam built across the Backwater to control the water level of the lake

1874

1876

1877

1878

Christchurch in King Street opened

Primitive Methodist Chapel in Hope Square closed

collision and wreck of the Avalanche and Forest off Portland

rebuild of the Red Lion, Hope Square; 250 feet long extension to the stone pier on the Weymouth side of the harbour completed

1879

1880

Springfield House, Rodwell built

Town Bridge partly rebuilt; steam locomotives took over the former horse-drawn carriages on the railway extension to the quay

1881

1884

1885

1887

1888

Rocks Hotel, Abbotsbury Road opened

demolition of houses adjacent to Holy Trinity Church to improve access to Chapelhay

Holy Trinity church extended; statue of Sir Henry Edwards erected by Alexandra Gardens

Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee - clock erected to commemorate; Jubilee Hall built in St Thomas Street

houses at the harbour end of the eastern side of Hope Street demolished; beginning of the establishment of Nothe Gardens

1889

railway extended to run to the GWR's new landing stage on the quay; cast-iron shelters erected on the Esplanade

1890

1891

bathing pavilions introduced containing cubicles

Whitehead Torpedo Works founded at Wyke Regis & Ferrybridge Cottages built; Royal Hotel on the seafront demolished; bandstand erected in Alexandra Gardens; Alexander footbridge over the railway lines off Hanover Road presented to the town by W H Alexander

1895

Borough of Weymouth and Melcombe Regis extended to include part of Radipole, and Westham; Voluntary Fire Brigade founded

1896

1897

Old Town Hall restoration; new Ferrybridge opened

Victoria Road, Wyke Regis school built by Whiteheads; collapse of the bank, Weymouth Old Bank aka Messrs, Eliot, Pearce & Co.'s Bank

1898

'Moonfleet' by J Meade-Faulkner published

 Dates in Weymouth's History: 1200-1799 1800-1899 1900-2006

  

  

Back to Weymouth Home Page

Guestbook

Weymouth and Dorset Local and Family History Forums

Interactive Map of Weymouth & Dorset

 

Relevant Page Links:

[George III][Harbour, main][Harbour, Melcombe Regis][Harbour,Old][Nothe, Nothe Fort][Radipole][Sandsfoot Castle][Shipwrecks][Town Buildings][Weymouth Harbour - Trinity area][Weymouth Harbour - Hope area][Weymouth, Old][Wyke Regis]