Weymouth-Dorset.co.uk Local History

Weymouth History Timeline

Dates in Weymouth's History: 1280-1799

1280

1298

12??

Melcombe Regis granted the status of Borough

Christchurch Chapel, Melcombe Regis, first mentioned

Building of Radipole Church

1318

1348

1377

Weymouth granted the status of Borough

The Bubonic plague, Black Death, entered Melcombe Regis

Chapel of St. Nicholas built as chapel of ease to Wyke Regis. Converted to fort during the Civil War

1455

building of Wyke Regis church and dedication to All Saints

1506

1538

1539

1571

1583

1588

1597

arrival of Queen Joana of Castile and Archduke Philip of Austria

Dissolution of the Monasteries - The Friary, Melcombe Regis closed

building of Sandsfoot Castle completed

Royal Charter granted to unite the Boroughs of Weymouth and Melcombe Regis

Capt. Richard Clark left Weymouth on 'The Delight' for Newfoundland

Weymouth men fought battle off Portland with Spanish Armada

first bridge linking Weymouth with Melcombe Regis built across the Harbour

1605

newly built church in St. Mary Street opened, known as Christchurch, later to become St. Mary's. Reversal of roles with Radipole to become the mother church

1618

1623

1628

1633

1641

1645

1651

1654

1665

Melcombe Regis Guildhall built

Robert Gorges left Weymouth for New England

The 'Abigail' left Weymouth taking emigrants to America

date on bell that was in the turret of the Old Town Hall, said to have previously been at Radipole Church

'Golden Grape' wrecked at Wyke Regis

Battle of Weymouth - Civil War. St Nicholas Chapel turned into a fort

wall separating the Harbour from the Marsh rebuilt

riots against Press Gangs at the White Hart

Major fire destroyed 37 houses on the east side of St Mary Street; Sir Samuel Mico bequeathed the 'George Inn' on Melcombe Quay to the Corporation for charitable purposes - still a charity today

1675

1685

Sir James Thornhill born at White Hart

Judge Jeffreys 'Bloody Assizes' and order for gallows to be erected at Greenhill for the execution of 12 men

1720

1721

1722

1750

1758

1760

1770

1772

1775

1780

1781

1783

1785

1789

1794

1795

1797

Sir James Thornhill knighted

Golden Lion, St. Edmund Street built

Sir James Thornhill became MP for Melcombe Regis

Ralph Allen of Bath purchased no. 2 Trinity Road

Murder of Richard Hawkins at the Black Dog

Turnpikes opened

new Town Bridge built, the only one to be built at the end of St. Nicholas Street

Stacies Hotel built (later became Royal Hotel)

Town Pump erected at West Plains (North Quay) (site of the present day Fire Station)

Gloucester Lodge aka Royal Lodge built (later became Gloucester Hotel) on seafront

inlet known as McSaunders Hole (Weymouth side) filled in and became Cove Street

York Buildings built

Weymouth Assembly Rooms closed and became known as the Old Rooms

George III paid his first visit to Weymouth

Packet Steamer to the Channel Islands launched

Several ships of Admiral Christian's fleet wrecked on Chesil Beach

Weymouth Waterworks established

Dates in Weymouth's History: 1800-1899 1900-2006

 

Back to Weymouth Home Page

Guestbook

Weymouth and Dorset Local and Family History Forums

Interactive Map of Weymouth & Dorset

 

Relevant Page Links:

[Abigail and John Endicott memorial][Emigration][George III][Harbour, main][Harbour, Melcombe Regis][Harbour,Old][Nothe, Nothe Fort][Radipole][Sandsfoot Castle][Shipwrecks][Town Buildings][Weymouth Harbour - Trinity area][Weymouth Harbour - Hope area][Weymouth, Old][Wyke Regis]