Weymouth-Dorset.co.uk Local History

The Streets of Weymouth

An index of Street Names, Terraces and Places within the Borough of Weymouth and Melcombe Regis, name changes if any, location within streets and the parishes they lay within.

The aim of this index is in particular to help family historians attempting to locate their ancestral homes. This index has been compiled using old maps, census returns, directories and any other reference identifying location. In particular, Eric Ricketts - The Buildings of Old Weymouth, and Maureen Boddy and Jack West - Weymouth - An Illustrated History, have been most helpful. Where possible, an approximate date of building is given. In some cases it has not been possible to ascertain the present location and therefore some idea of the area has been given instead, and is marked such.

During the Victorian era, much building ensued on reclaimed land on the Melcombe Regis side and many areas surrounding it were developed. The Victorian naming of rows and terraces of houses caused problems later on with further development and eventually the names of the terraces were lost, to be replaced by street names, often vastly different to their original names.

In some cases the area concerned was constructed out of land reclamation from the Backwater straddling the parish boundary between Radipole and Melcombe Regis. I have endeavoured to establish which they belonged to, but where that is uncertain, I have relied on judgement of the boundary of the Radipole tithe map. The boundary of the parishes was different to that of the parliamentary wards and borough boundaries. The parish of Radipole extended down the Dorchester Road to the beach. Once the building of St. John's church was completed in 1854, a new parish was formed. Until the boundary changes of 1895 the northern boundary of the borough of Weymouth and Melcombe Regis lay at Lodmoor Hill on Dorchester Road. 

Westham was built during the latter half of the nineteenth century and consisted of many terraces. These names are now lost, but the area is the Abbotsbury Road and side roads. Westham was part of the parish of Wyke Regis, even though it was some distance from the village of Wyke and only became part of the Borough of Weymouth and Melcombe Regis in 1895. At the same time, Westham became part of the Civil Parish of Weymouth.

Further confusion arises regarding Weymouth proper and the parish of Wyke Regis. The latter extended to the parts just behind the Weymouth side of the harbour, behind the original town and High Street of old Weymouth. Weymouth's old High Street ran from the junction with Boot Hill, along what is now Trinity Road and into Trinity Street down by the old harbour. The terraces off Rodwell Avenue and Rodwell itself were once all part of the parish of Wyke Regis. Rodwell now comes under the parish of Holy Trinity, Weymouth. It wasn't until 1836 when Holy Trinity was built that Weymouth had its own church. Parish Register entries prior to then are to be found in the registers of Wyke Regis.

Name

Present Day Location if changed

Parish

Date

Adelaide Place/Court

Queen Street

Melcombe Regis

 

Albert Cottages

West Parade later Park Street

Melcombe Regis

1862

Albert Street

 

Melcombe Regis

1861

Alexandra Road

Off Dorchester Road

Radipole

 

Alexandra Terrace

Commercial Road

Melcombe Regis

1864

Antwerp Villas

203-209 Dorchester Road

Radipole

 

Argyle Road

 

Radipole

c.1855

Augusta Place (Hotels)

35-40 Esplanade; hotels: Victoria, Weymouth

Melcombe Regis

 

Augusta Place

27-29 Walpole Street

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Bank Buildings

Bath Street

17 Esplanade & Edward Court

Melcombe Regis

Melcombe Regis

 

c.1841

Baytree Cottages

Now part of Shrubbery Lane

Wyke Regis

 

Belvidere (1-16)

116-131 Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

c.1820

Belvidere Cottages

27-32 Crescent St

Melcombe Regis

 

Belvidere Court

Crescent St

Melcombe Regis

 

Belvidere Mews

18-26 Crescent St

Melcombe Regis

1845

Blackdown

Buxton Road/Connaught Rd area

Weymouth/Wyke

1860s

Bond Street

 

Melcombe Regis

 

Bond Street, Lower

Pre 1872 Coneygar Lane

Melcombe Regis

 

Borough House

Was on the pre 1895 boundary at Radipole of the Borough

Radipole

 

Boulton Villa

Became Wyke Lodge, now demolished - housing estate now on the site

Wyke Regis

 

Brownlow Street

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Brunswick Buildings

Brunswick Terrace, Greenhill

 

c.1825

Burdon Hotel

Now the Prince Regent

Melcombe Regis

1856

Bury Street

Demolished 1975, now under the multi-storey car park, Commercial Road

Melcombe Regis

 

Caroline Place

Carter's Cottages

 

 

Melcombe Regis

Melcombe Regis

c.1836

1835

Chalbury Lodge

 

Preston

 

Charles Street

 

Melcombe Regis

c. 1870

Charlotte Row

47A-51 Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

 

Chelmsford Street

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Chesterfield Place

Clarence Buildings

59 Esplanade

19-30 Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

Melcombe Regis

 

Clifton Place

 

Melcombe Regis

1861

Coburg Place

In St. Thomas Street

Melcombe Regis

 

Commercial Road

 

Melcombe Regis

 

Coneygar Lane

Bond Street since 1872

Melcombe Regis

 

Connaught House

Formerly called Portmore

Weymouth/Wyke

 

Connaught Road

Formerly Blackdown area, part of Belfield estate

Weymouth/Wyke

 

Corfe Hill

 

Radipole

 

Corney Terrace

Part of Newstead Road, Westham

Westham/Wyke

 

Crocker's Folly

Cottages around the now Newstead Road area

Weymouth/Westham

Pre 1857

Derby Street

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Devenish Place

Off Governor's Lane, north side, demolished (now East St. car park)

Melcombe Regis

16-18th C

Devonshire Buildings

1-6 Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

c.1815

Dorset Place

Dorchester Road (Lodmoor Hill)

Radipole

c.1835

Dorset Place

Rodwell area

Weymouth/Wyke

 

East Street

 

Melcombe Regis

 

Edward Street

 

Melcombe Regis

1841

Elwell Manor

No.70 Rodwell Road

Weymouth/Wyke

Rebuilt 1854

Excelsior Terrace

Part of Abbotsbury Road

Westham/Wyke

 

Florissant House

40 Brownlow Street

Melcombe Regis

 

Florissant Terrace

12-16 Brownlow Street

Melcombe Regis

 

Franchise Street

Chapelhay area

Weymouth

 

Frederick Place

in St. Thomas Street

Melcombe Regis

c.1830

Gas House Lane

Now Newstead Road

Weymouth/Westham

 

Gloucester Hotel

Gloucester Mews

Gloucester Row (1-5)

Gloucester Row (7-14)

Gloucester Street

Gloucester Terrace

85 Esplanade

 

86-89 Esplanade

92-99 Esplanade

 

Melcombe Regis

Melcombe Regis

Melcombe Regis

Melcombe Regis

Melcombe Regis

Melcombe Regis

 

1842

 

 

 

1862

Gordon Place

(28 & 30) Greenhill

Radipole

 

Gordon Terrace

Part of Melbury Road, Westham

Westham/Wyke

 

Governor's Lane

Part demolished 1960s

Melcombe Regis

 

Great George Street

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1836

Greenhill Cottage

Greenhill

Radipole

 

Greenhill House

(The Grand) Greenhill

Radipole

c.1840

Grosvenor Place

31-34 Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

 

Grosvenor Road

Built on site of Radipole Barrack field

Radipole

c.1868

Hardwick Cottages/Row/Terrace

All part of Hardwick Road

Melcombe Regis

 

Harmony Court/Place

Off Conygar Lane

Melcombe Regis

 

Hartford Terace

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1836

Harwick Street

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Hell Lane

High Street

High West Street

Helen Lane

High West Street

no longer exists

Melcombe Regis

Weymouth

Weymouth

 

 

Hockerhill

Part of Nottington, on the boundary of the parishes of Radipole and Broadwey

Radipole

 

Hotel Burdon

Hotel Prince Regent, 139 Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

1855

Jockey Row

Demolished, about where the fire station is now

Weymouth

 

John Street

Off St. Nicholas St.

Melcombe Regis

 

Johns Court

Off Lower Bond St.

Melcombe Regis

 

Johnstone Row

65-66 Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

1811

Johnstones Farm

 

Radipole

 

Landsdowne

 

Wyke Regis

 

Lennox House

Formerly known as Victoria Villa

Melcombe Regis

 

Lennox Street

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Little George Street

Westham Road

Melcombe Regis

c.1836

Lodmoor House

Lodmoor Hill

Radipole

 

Lodmoor Row/Cottages

Lodmoor Hill

Radipole

 

Love Lane Court

Love Lane between nos.16 & 17 (1861 census)

Weymouth

 

Longhill Road

Became Rodwell Road in 1872

Weymouth/Wyke

 

Lower Bond Street

Pre 1872 Conygar Lane or Conygar Ditch

Melcombe Regis

 

Luce's Hotel

Became Victoria Hotel, Augusta Place

Melcombe Regis

1800-50

Maiden Street

 

Melcombe Regis

 C16th

Mann Lodge

 

Radipole

 

Market Street

 

Melcombe Regis

1870

Melcombe Place

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Mitchell Street

 

Melcombe Regis

1873

Mulberry Cottage

Demolished

Melcombe Regis

 

Mulberry Terrace

Off Commercial Rd and School St

Melcombe Regis

 

New Court

 

Melcombe Regis

 

New Street

 

Melcombe Regis

C.16th

Newstead Road

Formerly Gas House Lane

Westham/Weymouth

 

Nottington

Within the parish of Broadwey, although Nottington House was in the parish of Radipole

Broadwey

 

Oakley Place

Rodwell area

Wyke Regis

 

Park Cottages

Part of Hardwick St.

Melcombe Regis

 

Park Hotel

Dorchester Road

Radipole

 

Park Street

West Parade

Melcombe Regis

c.1840

Park Terrace

Melcombe Place

Melcombe Regis

c.1837

Park Villa

Alexandra Road

Radipole

 

Penny Street

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Petticoat Lane

From 1872 St. Alban Street

Melcombe Regis

 

Portland Place

43-46 Lennox Street

Melcombe Regis

 

Portmore

became Connaught House

Wyke Regis

 

Prospect Place

Dorchester Road

Radipole

 

Prospect Terrace

Now Melbury Road, Westham

Westham/Wyke

 

Pulteney Buildings

7-15 Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

c.1815

Quebec Place

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1841

Queens Row

Rodwell area

Wyke Regis

 

Quiet Place

 

Melcombe Regis

 

Radipole Farm

Also known as Nangles, Dorchester Road

Radipole

 

Radipole House

There were two. This one, north of the pre 1895 borough boundary, later renamed Radipole Villa, set back from the Dorchester Road

Radipole

c.1827

Radipole House (2)

This one was nearer the sea and near the end of Dorchester Rd, appears to have been the farmhouse of Radipole or Nangles Farm.

Radipole

 

Radipole Terrace

Dorchester Road (Lodmoor Hill area)

Radipole

 

Ranalagh Road

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Redlands

Boundary of the parishes of Radipole and Broadwey

Radipole

 

Richmond Terrace

part of King Street

Melcombe Regis

1861

Ridgeway

A hamlet within the parish of Upwey

Upwey

 

Rock(s) Terrace

Part of Newstead Rd, site of hospital built in 1871

Westham/Wyke Regis

1871

Rodwell Road

Until 1872 called Longhill Road

Weymouth/Wyke

 

Rolls Court

St Mary St

Melcombe Regis

 

Royal Crescent

101-115 Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

c.1800

Royal Hotel

90-91 Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

 

Royal Terrace

68-84 Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

c.1817

Royal York Terrace

1-5 Lennox Street

Melcombe Regis

1861

St. Alban Street

formerly Petticoat Lane pre 1872

Melcombe Regis

 

St. Andrews Square

End of East St where it meets the Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

 

St. Edmund Street

 

Melcombe Regis

 

St. Mary Street

 

Melcombe Regis

 

St. Nicholas Street

St. Nicholas Street

Renamed 1872 Chapelhay Street

Weymouth

Melcombe Regis

 

St. Thomas Street

 

Melcombe Regis

 

Salem Place

near Hope Square/Nothe

Weymouth

 

Sandesfort House

Rylands Lane; became Thornlow School

Wyke Regis

 

School Street

 

Melcombe Regis

 

Seymour Street

Now under the multi-storey car park area of Commercial Road

Melcombe Regis

 

Sharraw Buildings

Dorchester Road

Radipole

 

Sherborne Terrace

St. Nicholas St, also Francis St, now Chapelhay St.

Weymouth

 

Silver Street

Demolished, about where the fire station is now

Weymouth

 

Somerset House

Greenhill now the Greenhill Hotel

Radipole

c.1840

Southdown Lodge

 

Preston

 

Spa Road

 

Radipole

c.1840

Spa View Terrace

Spa Road

Radipole

c.1897

Spring Gardens

Rodwell area

Weymouth/Wyke

 

Spring Lane

Rodwell area

Weymouth/Wyke

 

Spring Place

Part of Rodwell Avenue

Weymouth/Wyke

Pre 1857

Stanley Street

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Steward's Court

demolished 1960s

Melcombe Regis

 

Talavera Villas

Dorchester Road

Radipole

 

Terminus Street

 

Melcombe Regis

1860

Terrace Street

 

Melcombe Regis

1862

Turton Street

 

Melcombe Regis

1860

Union Place

Off Rodwell Avenue

Wyke Regis

 

Union Place

Dorchester Road (Lodmoor Hill)

Radipole

 

Upwey Street

 

Melcombe Regis

1861

Victoria Cottages

In Park Street

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Victoria Hotel

Formerly Luce's Hotel, Augusta Place

Melcombe Regis

1800-50

Victoria Street

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Victoria Terrace

132-146 Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

1856

Victoria Villa

Renamed Lennox House

Melcombe Regis

 

Walpole Street

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Walpole Terrace

46-59 Walpole Street

Melcombe Regis

1863

Waterloo Place

End of Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

c.1835

Wellington House

Dorchester Road

Radipole

c.1835

Wellington Place

Dorchester Road

Radipole

c.1835

Wesley Street

 

Melcombe Regis

1852

West Parade

Leads across Westham Rd to Park Street

Melcombe Regis

c.1836

West Street

Off St. Albans St.

Melcombe Regis

 

West Street

Became High West Street

Weymouth

 

Westbourne Road

Off Dorchester Road

Radipole

 

Westbrook House

 

Upwey

 

Westdown Lodge

 

Wyke Regis

 

William Street

 

Melcombe Regis

c.1870

Wooperton Street

 

Melcombe Regis

1863

Wyke House

Became hotel, demolished 1974, now housing estate in Wyke Square

Wyke Regis

 

Wyke Lodge

Formerly Boulton Villa, housing estate now on site

Wyke Regis

 

York Buildings

53-57 Esplanade

Melcombe Regis

1784

York Villa

24-26 Alexandra Road

Radipole

 

 

Genealogy from the records of the Borough of Weymouth and Melcombe Regis including "Marriages", Apprentices and other genealogical data.

1823/4 Directory of Melcombe Regis

1844 Directory of Melcombe Regis

Weymouth and Melcombe Regis Family History

General Family History in Dorset

 

Local Attractions and Places to Visit

 

Back to Weymouth Home Page

Guestbook

 

All text and photographs on this page are my own and I therefore hold the copyright. Please respect this and if you wish to copy any of them or use them elsewhere, please ask permission first.