Weymouth-Dorset.co.uk Local History

Broadwey

The Manor House, Broadwey, Dorset, now a residential home

The Manor House, Broadwey

So much of Broadwey (sometimes spelt Broadway) can be easily missed by not going off the beaten track. The beaten track in this case being the Dorchester Road. Apart from Broadwey's residents, only those who take the time to stop and walk around or perhaps those stuck in the summer traffic will notice some of the older buildings along the Dorchester Road. A walk around however shows some delightfully hidden gems, some inaccessible by car.

Broadwey became part of the Borough of Weymouth and Melcombe Regis in 1933, along with its neighbours, Radipole and Upwey.

The Parish Church of St. Nicholas, Broadwey, Dorset

Church of St. Nicholas, Broadwey

The church of St. Nicholas, Broadwey dates in part from the 12th century with the Norman doorway on the south and the font. Other parts date from the 14th century and a window of the 15th century is in the west wall of the nave. The north aisle window to the west dates from the 16th century and the pulpit from the 17th. In 1838 the nave was extended to the boundary of the churchyard. The chancel was lengthened and the arch rebuilt between 1894 and 1896. The south aisle and the chancel aisle were added in 1902 and the Norman doorway moved further south. At the same time the gallery was removed.

On the corner of Mill Street, opposite the church are three cottages built on the site of the former Broadwey dairy circa 1880. The dairy was once an outlying part of Broadwey Farm. The original farmhouse and barn to the south on the main road, having been tastefully converted for residential use.

Opposite across the Dorchester Road stands the old school building dating from the 1830's and now converted into a dwelling. 

Situated next to the church, the Manor House at Broadwey is of Victorian build in Ridgeway stone and bears the insignia of the Goodden family, once major landholders in the area. Retaining its features, the manor house is now a residential home for the elderly.

North Mill, Mill House and Mill Cottages in Mill Street, Broadwey, Dorset

Mill-hand's cottages, the Mill House and North Mill, Mill Street, Broadwey

Further along Mill Street stands the old mill that gives the street its name. Here we have the mill-hand's cottages and the Mill House built in 1853. North Mill, the original mill was built in 1846 on an earlier structure of the Georgian period.

This mill, producing corn was once run by the Luckham family. Hunt's directory of 1851 shows Richard Luckham as the miller at Broadwey Mills. Ten years later, then aged 50, he is shown on the 1861 census as a miller employing 6 men.

Opposite and connected by a wooden bridge is the later addition now known as South Mill.

Naturally the mill is situated alongside the River Wey which diverts near this point into Pucksey Brook.

Further south on the Dorchester Road from the former Broadwey Farm of the 17th century with it's windows almost on the pavement, stands the former Temperance Hall built in 1878, another conversion and somehow not sitting quite right with the neighbouring cottages. A wander off the main road into Littlemead reveals rows of Victorian terrace cottages and the road leading down to the River Wey once more. On the corner of Springfield Road, almost opposite there once stood a thatched Tithe Barn which was demolished in 1959.

Further south again, some quaint little cottages dating from 1835 and the Swan Inn. Apart from its Inn sign, there is little to suggest the building to be a public house as it has little in the way of outstanding features. However, this inn has traded for a long time as The Swan and the building dates back to around the early 17th century, but with later alterations. An unusual feature is the beamed yard entrance being part of the building.

All these existing buildings are on the west side of the road as most of those on the east were demolished in order to widen the road for its heavy burden of traffic. So sad to see our heritage removed for the sake of four wheels.

Lorton Farm, Dorchester Road, Broadwey, Dorset

Lorton Farm, Broadwey

Continuing south we come upon an almost isolated farm and farm house. This is Lorton Farm. Built during the reign of George IV, it has a porch resembling that of a church and windows of Gothic style. It has an octagonal stone chimney stack.

Adjoining and to the north are what were originally the barns.

Past the fields belonging to the farm, hidden by the overhanging trees is a little lane called The Grove.

The Grove is just a pathway seemingly going nowhere, but giving a good rear view of Broadwey House, and eventually leading to a row of cottages called Grove Cottages, dating from 1879. At the end of the pathway stands a converted Methodist Chapel which was built in 1839.

Broadwey House, a tall, three storeyed white building dates in foundation from around the 17th century. It has an adjoining wing which has been converted into cottages and the addition of what was possibly a coach house.

Across the road on the eastern side, just south past Lorton Farm, a turning, Lorton Lane leads to the 19th century Old Rectory and Lorton House built in 1868, cottages and barn. New housing appears to have replaced much of it though.

The Elms, Dorchester Road, Broadwey, Dorset. Dating from 1779

The Elms, Dorchester Road, Broadwey

Further along and almost opposite Broadwey House, hidden behind a high wall is The Elms. A date panel on the top half of the building records the initials J.W.S. and the date 1779. Adjoining it to the south is Forge Cottage of the same date and on the corner of Court Road. Here too once stood a smithy and wheelwright's shop demolished in the 1970's for road widening and said to have dated from the mid 18th century.

Across the road onto the western side, Nottington Lane. Nottington lies on the old parish boundary between Broadwey and Radipole. It appears the northern side of the road belongs to Broadwey and the southern side to Radipole. Indeed, the southern side and its buildings of the time are mentioned in the beating of the bounds perambulation around the parish of Radipole in 1582.

Broadwey was home to a Doctor Adam Puckett who was the Weymouth Union doctor covering a large area. Part of the area he covered was Sutton Poyntz and Preston. Here one day in July 1862 he was savagely murdered by one of his patients. His murder caused more than the usual outcry, for not only was it so brutal, questions were then raised as to why the doctor covered such a large area and for so little remuneration. The story appeared in The Times two days later and it records that the remains were taken to the Ship Inn at Preston to await an inquest. Dr. Puckett left a widow, Elizabeth and their daughter Alice who then had the task of looking after her disabled mother. Their other children had already left home by this time.

Doctor Puckett has a gravestone in Broadwey churchyard, now much obliterated by the effects of time, the inscription read:

Sacred

to the memory of

ADAM STAPLETON PUCKETT

who was murdered by a patient while

in the execution of his duty at

Sutton Pointz on the 8th day of July 1862,

in the 65th year of his age.

He was highly respected and deeply lamented

by all who knew him and was upwards

of twenty years Parochial medical officer

of the Upwey and Chickerell district.

Also of ELIZABETH ESTHER, relict of the

above who died January 6th 1865,

aged 66 years.

The Lord gave and the Lord hath taken away.

It is recorded in Hutchins, History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset, that when the grave was being dug a Roman cinerary urn was discovered.

Historical Parish Information

 

Parish Registers begin:

1661

Hundred or Liberty:

Culliford Tree

Poor Law Union & Registration District:

Weymouth

Somerset & Dorset FHS Census Volumes

1841 - Vol.9 /1851 - Vol.2 /1891 - Vol.10

Online Parish Clerk Project (external link)

Broadwey OPC

 

Rackmead, Broadwey - Historic House Under Threat of Demolition

For more pictures of Broadwey: Weymouth Pictures (external link)

 

Nearby Parishes and Places

Bincombe

Buckland Ripers

Nottington

Preston

Radipole

Sutton Poyntz

Upwey

 

Local Attractions and Places to Visit 

 

Back to Weymouth Home Page

Guestbook

 

All text and photographs on this page are my own and I therefore hold the copyright. Please respect this and if you wish to copy any of them or use them elsewhere, please ask permission first.